North York Gum Disease Treatment
Whether you've just started experiencing the signs of gum disease or struggled with it for years, it's crucial that you get the treatment your smile deserves. At Skymark Dental Centre, we're proud to offer comprehensive gum disease treatment in North York and its surrounding communities in Toronto. From periodontal maintenance to laser pocket cleaning, you can rest assured that our practice is here to meet your gum disease needs.
A hallmark of our office is that we strive to make your appointments as relaxing and comfortable as possible. Our dental team, led by Dr. Rick Kochman and Dr. Catalina Barrera, will answer your questions and accommodate your requests to help you feel satisfied from the moment you walk through our doors. Contact us today to schedule your next visit and take the first step toward improving your gum health!
CALL US: (647) 952-9530 REQUEST APPOINTMENT
What Is Gum Disease?
Periodontal disease, also called gum disease, is a type of infection that affects the soft tissue surrounding your teeth. If left untreated, gum disease can spread to the bones surrounding your gums, resulting in pain and potentially tooth loss. The complex nature of gum disease means that various factors can lead to gum disease, including:
- Tobacco Use: Smoking, chewing, and using tobacco products can interfere with the function of your gum tissue cells and make you more vulnerable to developing periodontal disease. By eliminating tobacco from your life, you can help keep your smile healthy and free from gum disease.
- Hormonal Shifts: When you become pregnant or experience monthly menstrual cycles, your body's hormones rise and fall. This fluctuation in hormones can make your smile more susceptible to developing gum disease. It's crucial that you stay on top of your oral care routine to help prevent gum disease.
- Plaque Buildup: Plaque is a thick, sticky film of bacteria that forms on your teeth and gums. Although regular brushing and flossing removes some plaque, it can quickly build up and cause gum disease.
No matter what caused your gum disease, our practice will leverage time-tested gingivitis and periodontitis treatment to help improve and protect your smile's health.
Our Unique Approach to Treatment
At Skymark Dental Centre, we've spent years improving our periodontal disease treatment services to resolve minor and complex cases alike. When you visit our practice for the first time, our dentist will begin by conducting an extensive oral exam. By examining the overall condition of your teeth, gums, and jawbones, we can determine the level of treatment that you need. Our dentist will also ask you questions about your smile. Do your gums bleed when brushing your teeth? Do your gums hurt when you bite or chew? Depending on the condition of your gums, we may recommend antibiotics or fluoride in addition to other services. Our extensive periodontal treatment offerings include:
- Scaling & Root Planing: Deep cleaning for gum disease can be broken down into two components: scaling and root planing. Scaling is the process of removing plaque and tartar from above and below your gumline. Root planing is when the dentist smooths out your tooth roots, which helps your gums attach to your teeth and create a seal that helps keep bacteria out.
- Soft Tissue Laser: If your gum disease has progressed to the point where the tissue is inflamed, our practice leverages state-of-the-art soft tissue laser technology. A soft tissue laser can be ideal for patients who are looking for an alternative to traditional scalpels. Our dentist will use the laser to remove the inflamed tissue around your tooth's root and eliminate tartar and plaque below your gumline.
- Periodontal Maintenance: Periodontal maintenance is conducted at 3-4 month intervals for patients with a history of gum disease. It consists of scaling and root planing, and periodontal charting to measure the pockets in your gums. Our dentist will work with you to determine if periodontal maintenance is in your best interests.
Gum Disease FAQs
Gum disease treatment can be unfamiliar and overwhelming for some patients. That's why our dental team is here to answer your questions. Some of the most frequently asked questions about our peritonitis treatment include:
Gingivitis is the only stage of gum disease that's reversible. However, you can rest assured that we'll work with you to address more advanced stages of gum disease.
The best way to prevent gum disease is with proper oral hygiene. Our team recommends that you brush and floss your teeth twice a day while also visiting our office for regular checkups.
It's normal to feel some discomfort during scaling and root planing. The treatment is minimally invasive, and you can expect discomfort to disappear soon after it's completed.
Periodontal Disease Treatment in North York
At Skymark Dental Centre, we know how painful and debilitating gum disease can be. That's why we offer extensive North York periodontal disease treatment ranging from root planing to periodontal maintenance. We look forward to meeting you and helping your gums look and feel their best. Contact us today to schedule your next appointment!
CALL US: (647) 952-9530 REQUEST APPOINTMENT